Ever been in a situation where words that are spoken are unclear, perhaps you heard them, but the words used have definitive meanings. What about the words that have multiple meanings, how can anyone be sure of the words spoken, when the words used have multiple meanings. You may say tone, which itself has multiple meanings, I rather say personality.
- the quality or state of being a person
- the condition or fact of relating to a particular person; specifically : the condition of referring directly to or being aimed disparagingly or hostilely at an individual
- the complex of characteristics that distinguishes an individual or a nation or group; especially : the totality of an individual’s behavioral and emotional characteristics
- distinction or excellence of personal and social traits; also : a person having such quality
- vocal or musical sound of a specific quality; especially : musical sound with respect to timbre and manner of expression
- a sound of definite pitch and vibration
- accent or inflection expressive of a mood or emotion
- the pitch of a word often used to express differences of meaning
- a particular pitch or change of pitch constituting an element in the intonation of a phrase or sentence
- style or manner of expression in speaking or writing
- (1) : color quality or value (2) : a tint or shade of color
- the effect in painting of light and shade together with color
- the state of a living body or of any of its organs or parts in which the functions are healthy and performed with due vigor
- healthy elasticity : resiliency
Both terms are rather expansive, but in terms of personality, I like how Merriam Webster shortened it to a simple phrase, “the set of emotional qualities, ways of behaving, etc., that makes a person different from other people.” Looking over the definitions for Tone, you can see how much it relates to either music, health, or attitude. This simplification is what I am utilizing in this post. Primarily since we are referring to attitude, speaking and even writing forms, we would be focusing on the 3rd and 6th definition.
I am always told I have hidden, or double messages when I talk about either my problems, my feelings, or just general every day tasks. This may be true because my personality is to avoid conflict, so would say something that doesn’t cause an argument.
- Double Meaning
- noun: a word or phrase that is open to more than one interpretation.
- Hidden Message
- information that is not immediately noticeable, and that must be discovered or uncovered and interpreted before it can be known.
I take pride in my causal use of avoidance, because it keeps people in a slightly better mood around me, although if people start learning my personality, eventually they will be able to interpret my messages, and the result would then be happiness for me, and those around.
Personality is the door to a persons inner most thoughts, it allows messages to be expressed in numerous ways. the door can be cracked, to let out a little expression, or it could be wide open, revealing all emotion contained inside. The ability to open or see inside can be impacted by anyone’s relationship, good or bad, the door is almost always open to some degree. I will never say that the door is shut, because I have never come across a person who can completely hide emotions. I wont doubt it either, there is always a sign that emotion is felt.
Those of you that used the word tone, may have been referring to this emotion that is seen, however, some people, and I consider myself one of these people, have the ability to suppress these emotions to make it difficult to give a meaning to the words being said. I have also been told that my statements that do have a clear definition, have been interpreted as double messages, So I believe that the key to interpreting double messages, or finding hidden messages, would be to know or at least have an idea of about a persons personality.
This knowledge has the power to guide and assist anyone, once you know a persons personality, you will know what they can do, want to do, and how you can help them, either by deciphering messages, or adding to the cryptography of the message. Only those closest to you will ever know what is meant when words come from your mouth.
Personality is constructed, so no one has the same exact personality, there may be similar traits, and core values, but there is always a difference. it may only be one trait, but that trait can easily change a person. How well do you know personality, do you have friends you can read without a problem, maybe you had that moment of confusion with double messages, what ever the case maybe, it goes back to personality.